Skip to main content

Pumpkin Roll




I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving day yesterday with their family and friends.  I spent Thanksgiving with my girls at my sister, Ann's house.  I want to thank Ann and her husband, Adrian for a great day.  I am extremely thankful for my children, friends and a job that took me a long time to get.  I am grateful for military personnel who put their lives on the line every day so that we may live with the freedoms we are so lucky to have.

When I think of the Fall or Thanksgiving, I automatically think of pumpkin.  I'm not sure why I don't think of pumpkin any other time of the year.  Maybe it's the spices that give that warm feeling and comforts of home. I made this for yesterday's dinner and it was delicious.  Even though it is perfect for Thanksgiving, please feel free to make it any time of the year!




CAKE

 1/4 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup canned pumpkin

FILLING

8 oz. cream cheese, room
  temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
6 Tbs. butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract

powdered sugar &
cinnamon - sprinkle on top




Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Grease a 15x10-inch jelly roll pan (or cookie sheet with sides).  Line with parchment paper. 















Grease and flour paper.

 Sprinkle a thin, cotton dish towel with powdered sugar.









Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a small bowl.










Beat eggs and granulated sugar in mixer until thick.










.


Beat in pumpkin.  Stir in flour mixture.


Spread batter evenly in the prepared pan.

Bake for 13-15 minutes or until the top springs back when touched.  If using a dark pan, check after 11 minutes.

Immediately loosen and flip onto prepared towel.




Slowly peel off the paper. 

Starting with the narrow end, carefully roll the cake and towel together.

Cool completely on a wire rack.



CREAM CHEESE FILLING

In the meantime, beat powdered sugar, butter and vanilla bean until smooth. If it needs a little bit more vanilla flavor, add a little bit of vanilla extract.


Slowly unroll cooled cake.



Spread frosting evenly over cake, all the way to the edges. 

Cut off jagged edges on both ends with a serrated knife.






Wrap tightly in plastic wrap for one hour or until ready 
to serve.














Sprinkle a small amount of cinnamon over roll.  Then sprinkle powdered sugar. The way that I do this is the old-fashioned way.  I use a very inexpensive small collandar with tiny holes.  Perfect!!!






I love that it is just enough of a good thing without being too much.  Try serving with a little bit of whipped cream on the side.  Enjoy, and not just for Thanksgiving!

Comments

  1. Can you substitute cane sugar for granulated coconut sugar...

    And can you substitute oatmeal flour for the wheat 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Maureen's friend Tammy Zabek 😊

      Delete
    2. Hi Tammy, cane is where granulated sugar originates from. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing you can use other versions of sugar. Also, I've never used oatmeal flour before, but would try substituting other types of flours for all-purpose. Good luck. Let me know how it goes! Peggy

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Candy Cane Valentine

If you're like me,  you might have a lot of candy canes left over from Christmas.  Or, you might wait until they are 90% off and pay next to nothing for a box.  I think I paid 20 cents for 44 candy canes.  I love being able to take one thing and use it for another.  All you need to make this heart is two candy canes and red ribbon.  I hot glued the top and bottom of the candy cane. Then I tied a ribbon and curled the ends and glued it to the front of the heart.  I took another piece of ribbon, made a loop and tied the bottom and glued it to the back.  That's it!  Cute! February 20, 2013 Here is my patriotic version.  Some friends of mine helped me make over 100 of these last night to hand out at the  Veteran's Breakfast that will be held March 2nd in Pepperell, MA.  My daughter, Megan and I organized a little variety show for the Veterans.  Megan and her sister, Ryan will be dancing along with a lot of their dance friends.  There will be a few other acts as wel

The Best Vanilla Cake Ever!

Full credit for the ultimate vanilla cake and vanilla frosting goes to Rosie from  Sweetapolita .  Not only were the directions really easy to follow, but I made two batches on two different days and they came out exactly the same AND perfect.  I have never made a cake this way before.  It was backwards from the way I've usually done it.  It almost seemed like making pastry for a minute.  The only thing I did different was add 1 Tbs. of vanilla bean paste and then 1 Tbs. of vanilla extract.

Strawberry Jam Shortbread Bars

I have lived in my apartment over a year and, little by little, I have been exploring the area of North Andover/Andover, MA.  The other day I read that it was the first day of the season for corn.  I waited until Ryan came home from work and we headed off to  about 3 or 4 farm/farm stands.  Some were better than others.  I can imagine what they will be like in the Fall.  Our favorite was  Smolak Farms   in North Andover.  They had such a cute shop that had lots of specialty food items, homemade donuts and ice cream, etc..  I was able to taste  their homemade strawberry jam and I was immediately hooked.  I have been collecting different jams lately from   Stonewall Kitchen, York, ME .  Those samples will get you every time.  As soon as I tasted the strawberry jam, I knew I had to get it and make a yummy dessert.  I found a recipe online from    Recipe Girl , which I have adapted.  Enjoy this buttery, sweet, fruity bar.