Skip to main content

Ginger & Spiced Whipped Cream Sandwich Cookies



Today is National Sandwich Day!!  I thought about making a literal sandwich and putting something sweet inside, i.e., Nutella, chocolate or honey.  I changed my mind and decided to stick with the theme of this blog and go all out with a sweet baked good.  I have some candied ginger in my pantry that has been there awhile.  I saw it at Trader Joe's and decided to buy it.  The problem is I couldn't think of how to use it.  Even though today is an abnormally warm day at 71 degrees, it is still Fall.  When I think of Fall baking I think of warm flavors such as ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.  To stick with the sandwich theme, how about Ginger cookies sandwiched with a spicy whipped cream. I chopped the candied ginger into small pieces and added it to the ginger cookie batter.   I tweaked this recipe by using less sugar to compensate for the candied ginger but I did not add any more salt because I used unsalted butter.  These are literally one of the tastiest cookies I have ever made.  Just perfect! Yum!


1/2 cup butter, softened (I am trying different brands of butter. I used Kerrygold unsalted Irish butter and I think it really enhanced the flavor)
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup molasses
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup chopped crystallized candied ginger

Whipped cream

1 cup heavy cream
2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Sift together flour, ginger, salt and baking powder.


Chop candied ginger into small pieces.


Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

















Add vanilla and egg. Beat until blended.


Add molasses and sifted dry ingredients. Mix until just thoroughly blended.


Add chopped candied ginger.  Mix briefly until incorporated.


The dough will be sticky.

Turn out on waxed paper. Wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.


Using a cookie scooper, scoop the dough. Roll into a ball using your hands.


 Roll the ball into crystallized sugar and place on a cookie sheet.


Place on ungreased cookie sheet







Bake for approximately 12-15 minutes or until edges of cookies turn brown. Cool slightly on pan.


Remove to rack to cool completely.


While cookies are cooling, place mixing bowl and wire whisk into the freezer for at least 30 minutes.


Prepare whipped cream

Place cream into bowl and beat until soft peaks form.

Add sugar and spices.


Continue beating until just Incorporated.


Place in pastry bag with large tip.


















Pipe on back side of one cookie.


Top with a second cookie.


Celebrate National Sandwich Day ... your way!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Candy Cane Valentine

If you're like me,  you might have a lot of candy canes left over from Christmas.  Or, you might wait until they are 90% off and pay next to nothing for a box.  I think I paid 20 cents for 44 candy canes.  I love being able to take one thing and use it for another.  All you need to make this heart is two candy canes and red ribbon.  I hot glued the top and bottom of the candy cane. Then I tied a ribbon and curled the ends and glued it to the front of the heart.  I took another piece of ribbon, made a loop and tied the bottom and glued it to the back.  That's it!  Cute! February 20, 2013 Here is my patriotic version.  Some friends of mine helped me make over 100 of these last night to hand out at the  Veteran's Breakfast that will be held March 2nd in Pepperell, MA.  My daughter, Megan and I organized a little variety show for the Veterans.  Megan and her sister, Ryan will be dancing along with a lot of their dance friends.  There will be a few other acts as wel

The Best Vanilla Cake Ever!

Full credit for the ultimate vanilla cake and vanilla frosting goes to Rosie from  Sweetapolita .  Not only were the directions really easy to follow, but I made two batches on two different days and they came out exactly the same AND perfect.  I have never made a cake this way before.  It was backwards from the way I've usually done it.  It almost seemed like making pastry for a minute.  The only thing I did different was add 1 Tbs. of vanilla bean paste and then 1 Tbs. of vanilla extract.

Strawberry Jam Shortbread Bars

I have lived in my apartment over a year and, little by little, I have been exploring the area of North Andover/Andover, MA.  The other day I read that it was the first day of the season for corn.  I waited until Ryan came home from work and we headed off to  about 3 or 4 farm/farm stands.  Some were better than others.  I can imagine what they will be like in the Fall.  Our favorite was  Smolak Farms   in North Andover.  They had such a cute shop that had lots of specialty food items, homemade donuts and ice cream, etc..  I was able to taste  their homemade strawberry jam and I was immediately hooked.  I have been collecting different jams lately from   Stonewall Kitchen, York, ME .  Those samples will get you every time.  As soon as I tasted the strawberry jam, I knew I had to get it and make a yummy dessert.  I found a recipe online from    Recipe Girl , which I have adapted.  Enjoy this buttery, sweet, fruity bar.