Skip to main content

Chocolate Bonanzas


I tried to post this last night but I'm having horrible problems getting onto blogger with my computer.  So, I am now using my daughter's laptop.  Yesterday was National Chocolate Caramel Day.  We will now be celebrating it today!


These candies are delicious and so simple to make.  You can add any type of nut you want to and also anything else that peaks your interest, i.e., raisins, coconut, etc.  Make sure you decrease some of the other ingredients or increase the caramel ingredients.



14 oz. caramels (you can now buy these in the baking section unwrapped)
3 Tbs. water
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1 cups Rice Krispees
3 cups milk chocolate chips
1 1/2 tsp. shortening

Line two baking sheets with waxed paper.  Spray with Pam and set aside.



Melt caramels in saucepan on low heat; stir occasionally until smooth.




Place pecans and cereal into a large bowl. 

















Add melted caramel and mix until blended and well coated. Let sit and cool for about 10 minutes.












Now here is a really great tip I came up with that will make the next step incredibly easy.  Put on disposable cleaning gloves and grease your hands with butter or margarine.  I admit that I wash my hands with the gloves on first, dry them and then grease my hands.



Get your hands right into the bowl and estimate a Tbs. of mixture. Press together and shape into a one-inch-thick, round candy. Place on baking sheet. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Rip off those gloves and your hands will be as clean as can be.









Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips and shortening in the microwave until smooth (I melt for 1 minute on high, mix and then 25 seconds on high, stirring until totally melted).

Dip candy into chocolate using a fork.  Tap off the excess chocolate and place back on same baking sheets.  If you need to put down new waxed paper, do that before dipping the candies.

Refrigerate until candies harden.  Store in the refrigerator.  Makes 2 pounds.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Vanilla Cake Ever!

Full credit for the ultimate vanilla cake and vanilla frosting goes to Rosie from  Sweetapolita .  Not only were the directions really easy to follow, but I made two batches on two different days and they came out exactly the same AND perfect.  I have never made a cake this way before.  It was backwards from the way I've usually done it.  It almost seemed like making pastry for a minute.  The only thing I did different was add 1 Tbs. of vanilla bean paste and then 1 Tbs. of vanilla extract.

Bailey's Irish Cream Fudge

adapted from iVillage.com March 1995 This is an obvious choice for my second recipe since I just mentioned it in the last post.  I'm not kidding when I tell you that this is the best fudge you will ever eat.  It is my daughter, Ryan's favorite fudge ever.  The best part is it makes 5 lbs., definitely enough to go around.  I make this every Christmas.

Pumpkin Roll

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving day yesterday with their family and friends.  I spent Thanksgiving with my girls at my sister, Ann's house.  I want to thank Ann and her husband, Adrian for a great day.  I am extremely thankful for my children, friends and a job that took me a long time to get.  I am grateful for military personnel who put their lives on the line every day so that we may live with the freedoms we are so lucky to have. When I think of the Fall or Thanksgiving, I automatically think of pumpkin.  I'm not sure why I don't think of pumpkin any other time of the year.  Maybe it's the spices that give that warm feeling and comforts of home. I made this for yesterday's dinner and it was delicious.  Even though it is perfect for Thanksgiving, please feel free to make it any time of the year! CAKE  1/4 cup powdered sugar 3/4 cup all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. baking soda 1/2 tsp. ground ...